Given the many faculty members working as part of CeFEO and the heterogeneity of their research interests, it is no surprise that different research projects, leading to different publications, have been developed over time.
Below you can find links to scientific publications authored by CeFEO members. These reflect the breadth of the research at CeFEO while offering important scientific results in the areas of family business and/or ownership.
Selected publications (from 2016)
In bold are indicated CeFEO members:
- Almlöf, H., Sjögren, H. (in press). Owner-manager when death do us part - roles of a widow in sudden succession in family firms. Journal of Family Business Management.
- Arregle, J., Chirico, F., Kano, L., Kundu, S., Majocchi, A., Schulze, W. (2021). Family firm internationalization: Past research and an agenda for the future. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Banerjee, A., Nordqvist, M., Hellerstedt, K. (in press). The role of the board chair—A literature review and suggestions for future research. Corporate Governance: An International Review.
- Baù, M., Block, J., Discua Cruz, A., Naldi, L. (in press). Bridging locality and internationalization – A research agenda on the sustainable development of family firms. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development.
- Bauweraerts, J., Pongelli, C., Sciascia, S.(*), Mazzola, P., & Minichilli, A. (in press). Transforming entrepreneurial orientation into performance in family SMEs: Are nonfamily CEOs better than family CEOs?. Journal of Small Business Management, 1-32.
- Eze, N., Nordqvist, M., Samara, G., Parada, M. (in press). Different Strokes for Different Folks: The Roles of Religion and Tradition for Transgenerational Entrepreneurship in Family Businesses. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice.
- Gillmore, E., Andersson, U., Ekman, P. (in press). The enduring effects of relational attributes on subsidiary evolution after mandate loss. Global Strategy Journal.
- Hashim, S., Naldi, L., Markowska, M. (in press). “The royal award goes to…”: Legitimacy processes for female-led family ventures. The Journal of Family Business Strategy.
- Kimjeon, J., & Davidsson, P. (in press). External enablers of entrepreneurship: A review and agenda for accumulation of strategically actionable knowledge. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
- Maine, J., Florin-Samuelsson, E., Uman, T (forthcoming). Ambidextrous sustainability, organisational structure and performance in hybrid organisations. Accounting, Accountability and Auditing Journal.
- Malki, B., Uman, T., Pittino, D. (in press). The entrepreneurial financing of the immigrant entrepreneurs: a literature review. Small Business Economics.
- Naldi, L., Baù, M., Ahl, H., Markowska, M. (in press). Gender (in)equality within the household and business start-up among mothers. Small Business Economics.
- Naldi, L., Nilsson, P., Westlund, H., Wixe, S. (in press). Amenities and new firm formation in rural areas. Rural Studies
- Patel, P., Lenka, S., Parida, V. (in press). Caste-Based Discrimination, Microfinance Credit Scores, and Microfinance Loan Approvals Among Females in India. Business & Society.
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Minichilli, A., & Compagno, C. (2021). Family involvement in governance and firm performance in industrial districts. The moderating role of the industry’s technological paradigm. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 1-18.
- Quigley, T., Chirico, F., Baù, M. (in press). Does the CEO effect on performance differ in private versus public firms? Strategic Organization.
- Shen, W., Ponomareva, Y., Uman, T. (forthcoming). Can you catch two birds with one stone? The impacts of nominating committee composition on board monitoring and resource provision. Long Range Planning.
- Symeonidou, N., DeTienne, D. R., & Chirico, F. (in press). The persistence of family firms: How does performance threshold affect family firm exit?. Small Business Economics, 1-13.
- Waldkirch, M.(*), Bucher, E., Schou, P. K., & Grünwald, E. (in press). Controlled by the algorithm, coached by the crowd–how HRM activities take shape on digital work platforms in the gig economy. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1-36.
- Chirico, F., Welsh, D., Ireland, R., Sieger, P. (in press). Family versus non-family firm franchisors: Behavioral and performance differences. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 165-200.
- Ramirez-Pasillas, M., Lundberg, H., Nordqvist, M. (in press). Next generation external venturing practices in family owned businesses. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 63-103.
- Astrachan J., Binz-Astrachan C., Campopiano G., Baù, M. (2020). Values, Spirituality and Religion: Family Business and the Roots of Sustainable Ethical Behavior. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 637–645.
- Barbera, F., Shi, H. X., Agarwal, A., & Edwards, M. (2020). The Family That Prays Together Stays Together: Toward a Process Model of Religious Value Transmission in Family Firms. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 661–673.
- Baù, M., Pittino, D., Sieger, P., Eddleston, K.A. (2020). Careers in family business: New avenues for careers and family business research in the 21st century. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 11(3), 100379.
- Chirico, F., Criaco, G., Baù, M., Naldi, L., Gomez-Mejia, L., Kotlar, J. (2020). To patent or not to patent: That is the question. Intellectual property protection in family firms. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 44(2), 339-367.
- Chirico, F., Gómez-Mejia, L., Hellerstedt, K., Withers, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). To merge, sell or liquidate? Socioemotional wealth, family control, and the choice of business exit. Journal of Management 46(8), 1342-1379.
- Lauto, G., Pittino, D., Visintin, F. (2020). Satisfaction of entrepreneurs: A comparison between founders and family business successors. Journal of Small Business Management 58(3), 474-510.
- Li, H., Terjesen, S., Uman, T. (2020). Corporate Governance in Entrepreneurial Firms: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda. Small Business Economics, 54, 43-74.
- Markowska, M., Wiklund, J. (2020). Entrepreneurial learning under uncertainty: exploring the role of self-efficacy and perceived complexity. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 606-628.
- Muñoz-Bullón, F., Sanchez-Bueno, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). Growth intentions in family-based new venture teams: The role of the nascent entrepreneur’s R&D behavior. Management Decision 58(6), 1190-1209.
- Naldi, L., Criaco, G., Patel, P. (2020). Related and unrelated industry variety and the internationalization of start-ups. Research Policy 49(10).
- Naldi, L., Larsson, J., Westlund, H. (2020). Policy entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial orientation in vulnerable Swedish municipalities. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 473-491.
- Netz, J., Svensson, M., Brundin, E. (2020). Business disruptions and affective reactions: A strategy-as-practice perspective on fast strategic decision making. Long range planning 53(5).
- Nordqvist, M., & Gartner, W. B. (2020). Literature, Fiction, and the Family Business. Family Business Review.33(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Baù, M., Villasana, M., Naranjo-Priego, E., Barron, E. (2020). Starting a family business as a career option: The role of the family household in Mexico. Journal of Family Business Strategy 11(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Henssen, B., Broekaert, W. (2020). Does increased generational involvement foster business growth? The moderating roles of family involvement in ownership and management. European Management Review 17(3), 785-801.
- Uman, T., Smith, E., Andersson, W., Planken, W. (2020). Top management teams’ shared leadership and ambidexterity: the role of management control systems. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 86(3): 444-462.
- van Helvert-Beugels, J., Nordqvist, M., Flören, R. (2020). Managing tensions as paradox in CEO succession: The case of nonfamily CEO in a family firm. International Small Business Journal 38(3), 211-242.
- Zawadzki, M., Jałocha, B., Mazurkiewicz, G., Pluszyńska, A., Prawelska-Skrzypek, G. (2020). Unrooting management education and entrepreneurial self from neoliberal demands: An action research approach. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy 3(3), 265-290.
- Balachandran, C., Wennberg, K., Uman, T. (2019). National culture diversity in new venture boards: The role of founders' relational demography. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal 13(3), 410-434.
- Bauweraerts, J., Sciascia, S., Mazzola, P., Naldi, L. (2019). Family CEO and board service: Turning the tide for export scope in family SMEs. International Business Review 28(5).
- Baù, M., Chirico, F., Pittino, D., Backman, M., Klaesson, J. (2019). Roots to grow: Family firms and local embeddedness in rural and urban contexts. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 43(2), 360-385.
- Brunninge, O., Hartmann, B. (2019). Inventing a past: Corporate heritage as dialectical relationships of past and present. Marketing Theory 19(2), 229-234
- Dąbrowska, J., Lopez-Vega, H., Ritala, P. (2019). Waking the sleeping beauty: Swarovski’s open innovation journey. R&D Management 49(5), 775-788.
- Evansluong, Q., Ramirez-Pasillas, M. (2019). The role of family social capital in immigrants’ entrepreneurial opportunity creation processes. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 36(1-2), 164-188.
- Evansluong, Q., Ramirez-Pasillas, M., Nguyen Bergström, H. (2019). From breaking-ice to breaking-out: Integration as an opportunity creation process. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research25(5), 880-899.
- Iyer, D., Baù, M., Chirico, F., Patel, P., Brush, T. (2019). The triggers of local and distant search: Relative magnitude and persistence in explaining acquisition relatedness. Long Range Planning 52(5).
- Markowska, M., Grichnik, D., Brinckmann, J., Kapsa, D. (2019). Strategic orientations of nascent entrepreneurs: antecedents of prediction and risk orientation. Small Business Economics 53(4), 859-878.
- Patel, P. C., Criaco, G., & Naldi, L. (2018). Geographic diversification and the survival of born-globals. Journal of Management, 44(5), 2008-2036.
- Salvato, C., Chirico, F., Melin, L., Seidl, D. (2019). Coupling family business research with organization studies: Interpretations, issues, and insights. Organization Studies 40(6), 775-791.
- Sanchez-Famoso, V., Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Maseda, A., Iturralde, T. (2019). Social capital and innovation in family firms: The moderating roles of family control and generational involvement. Scandinavian Journal of Management 35(3).
- Wielsma, A., Brunninge, O. (2019). “Who am I? Who are we?”: Understanding the impact of family business identity on the development of individual and family identity in business families. Journal of Family Business Strategy 10(1), 38-48.
- Bjuggren, P., Nordström, L., Palmberg, J. (2018). Are female leaders more efficient in family firms than in non-family firms?. Corporate Governance. 18(2), 185-205
- Chirico, F., Salvato, C., Byrne, B., Akhter, N., & Arriaga Múzquiz, J. (2018). Commitment escalation to a failing family business. Journal of Small Business Management, 56(3), 494-512.
- Fitz-Koch, S., Nordqvist, M., Carter, S., & Hunter, E. (2018). Entrepreneurship in the agricultural sector: A literature review and future research opportunities. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 42(1), 129-166.
- Patel, P., Criaco, G., Naldi, L. (2018). Geographic diversification and the survival of born-globals. Journal of Management 44(5), 2008-2036
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., & Lauto, G. (2018). Fly away from the nest? A configurational analysis of family embeddedness and individual attributes in the entrepreneurial entry decision by next-generation members. Family Business Review, 31(3), 271-294.
- Pittino, D., Martínez, A. B., Chirico, F., & Galván, R. S. (2018). Psychological ownership, knowledge sharing and entrepreneurial orientation in family firms: The moderating role of governance heterogeneity. Journal of Business Research, 84, 312-326.
- Waldkirch, M., Nordqvist, M., & Melin, L. (2018). CEO turnover in family firms: How social exchange relationships influence whether a non-family CEO stays or leaves. Human Resource Management Review, 28(1), 56-67.
- Achtenhagen, L., Brunninge, O., Melin, L. (2017). Patterns of dynamic growth in medium-sized companies: beyond the dichotomy of organic versus acquired growth. Long range planning, 50(4), 457-471.
- Baù, M., Sieger, P., Eddleston, K., Chirico, F. (2017). Fail but try again? The effects of age, gender, and multiple-owner experience on failed entrepreneurs’ reentry. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 41(6), 909-941.
- Boers, B., Ljungkvist, T., Brining, O., Nordqvist, M. (2017). Going private: A socioemotional wealth perspective on why family controlled companies decide to leave the stock-exchange. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 8(2), 74-86.
- Criaco, G., Sieger, P., Wennberg, K., Chirico, F., Minola, T. (2017). Parents' performance in entrepreneurship as a "double-edged sword" for the intergenerational transmission of entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics, 49(4), 841-864
- Fitz-Koch, S., Nordqvist, M. (2017). The Reciprocal Relationship of Innovation Capabilities and Socioemotional Wealth in a Family Firm. Journal of small business management, 55(4), 547-570
- Hoskisson, R., Chirico, F., Zyung, J., Gambeta, E. (2017). Managerial risk taking: A multi-theoretical review and future research agenda. Journal of Management, 43(1), 137-169.
- Visintin, F., Pittino, D., Minichilli, A. (2017). Financial performance and non‐family CEO turnover in private family firms under different conditions of ownership and governance. Corporate governance: An International Review, 25(5), 312-337
- Akhter, N., Sieger, P., Chirico, F. (2016). If we can't have it, then no one should: Shutting down versus selling in family business portfolios. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 10(4), 371-394.
- Blombäck, A., Brunninge, O. (2016). Identifying the Role of Heritage Communication: A Stakeholder-Function Framework. International Studies of Management and Organization, 46(4), 256-268.
- Brunninge, O., Melander, A. (2016). The dynamics of path dependence on the individual, organizational and the field levels: MoDo, the Kempe family and the Swedish pulp and paper industry 1873–1990. Management & Organizational History, 11(2), 189-210.
- Carnes, C., Chirico, F., Hitt, M., Huh, D., Pisano, V. (2016). Resource Orchestration for Innovation: Structuring and Bundling Resources in Growth- and Maturity-Stage Firms. Long Range Planning, 50(4), 472-486.
- Chirico, F., Salvato, C. (2016). Knowledge internalization and product development in family firms: When relational and affective factors matter. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 40(1), 201-229.
- De Massis, A., Kotlar, J., Frattini, F., Chrisman, J., Nordqvist, M. (2016). Family governance at work: Organizing for new product development in family SMEs. Family Business Review, 29(2), 189-213.
- Fletcher, D., Massis, A., Nordqvist, M. (2016). Qualitative research practices and family business scholarship: A review and future research agenda. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 7(1), 8-25.
- Haag, K., Sund, L. (2016). Divorce in the family business: unfolding the legal problems by learning from practice. Journal of Family Business Management, 6(1), 81-96.
- Minola, T., Criaco, G., Obschonka, M. (2016). Age, culture, and self-employment motivation. Small Business Economics, 46(2), 187-213.
- Nordqvist, M. (2016). Socio-symbolic ownership: extending the socio-emotional wealth perspective. Management Research, 14(3), 244-257.
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Lenger, T., Sternad, D. (2016). Are high performance work practices really necessary in family SMEs?: An analysis of the impact on employee retention. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 7(2), 75-89.
This list is updated through the Jönköping University Library digital database (DIVA).
Kuiken, A., Naldi, L., Nordqvist, M. (2021). Internationalization of family firms as a discontinuous process: The role of behavioral theory. In: T. Leppäaho & S. Jack (Ed.), The Palgrave handbook of family firm internationalization (pp. 135-171). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan
Naldi, L., Nilsson, P., Westlund, H., Wixe, S. (2021). Amenities and new firm formation in rural areas. Journal of Rural Studies
Quigley, T., Chirico, F., Baù, M. (2021). Does the CEO effect on performance differ in private versus public firms?. Strategic Organization
Bauweraerts, J., Pongelli, C., Sciascia, S., Mazzola, P., Minichilli, A. (2021). Transforming entrepreneurial orientation into performance in family SMEs: Are nonfamily CEOs better than family CEOs?. Journal of small business management (Print)
Waldkirch, M., Bucher, E., Schou, P., Grünwald, E. (2021). Controlled by the algorithm, coached by the crowd–how HRM activities take shape on digital work platforms in the gig economy. International Journal of Human Resource Management
Almlöf, H., Sjögren, H. (2021). Owner-manager when death do us part - roles of a widow in sudden succession in family firms. Journal of Family Business Management
Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Minichilli, A., Compagno, C. (2021). Family involvement in governance and firm performance in industrial districts. The moderating role of the industry's technological paradigm. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development
Akhter, N., Edwards, M., Ijaz, R. (2021). (Extreme) Inner Resourcefulness: The Social Bricoleur and the Sustainable Creation of Abundance from Scarcity.
Akhter, N., Rautiainen, M., Pihkala, T., Ikäheimonen, T. (2021). The risk that became true – Cases study of a Pakistani family business portfolio diversification. In: Ho-Don Yan & Fu-Lai Tony Yu (Ed.), Routledge Companions in Business, Management and Marketing Abingdon, UK: Routledge
Kim, J., Davidsson, P. (2021). External Enablers of Entrepreneurship: A Review and Agenda for Accumulation of Strategically Actionable Knowledge. Entrepreneurship
All hits from DiVA (1286)